Applying for planning permission
Do I need planning permission?
The type of work you intend to carry out will determine if you need planning permission, the type of application you need to make and if you need building regulation approval.
We offer a Pre-Application Discussion service for you to speak with a planning officer and discuss proposals before you make an application.
For more information, please visit our Pre-Application Discussion webpage.
There are three types of planning applications:
- Local applications: these are typically smaller, more straightforward applications.
- Major applications: larger, more complex applications with pre-application requirements.
- Regionally significant applications: these applications will be determined by the Department of the Environment.
If you want to submit a major application, you need to consult with the community on your proposals before submitting your application.
Forms for local and major applications are available in two ways:
- You can either print the form and complete it by hand, or type your application and then print it.
- You can call into our public office on Linenhall Street and pick up the relevant application form.
Returning your application for planning permission
Your application must be accompanied by the appropriate fee and supporting documentation to be processed.
You can pay your fee in one of two ways:
- Pay by cheque - make it payable to Belfast City Council
- Pay by debit or credit card, in person at our planning officers or over the phone.
Completed application forms and fees can be submitted:
- by post (please enclose a cheque made payable to Belfast City Council)
- in person at our public office on Linenhall Street.
We're unable to offer an online application or payment service at this time.
Agents and architects
You can submit a planning application yourself or appoint an agent to act on your behalf.
If you wish to appoint an architect, you may wish to choose one that's registered. You can visit the Architects Registration Board website to view the official list of architects.