We offer a Pre-Application Discussion (PAD) service for you to speak with a planning officer and discuss proposals before you make a planning application. We can advise you on how to make your application and what the issues may be when it is considered.
A Pre-Application Discussion will improve the quality of your application and give you a better chance of getting permission before paying a planning fee.
For more information, please download our Pre-Application Discussion guide.
Cost of a Pre-Application Discussion
- 1-9 residential units
- 200 – 1,999 square metres commercial floor space
|£500 excluding VAT
|Large scale local
- 10 – 49 residential units
- 2,000 – 4,999 square metres commercial floor space (where not major)
|£1,000 excluding VAT
- 50 – 99 residential units
- Other major development including where less than 10,000 square metres
|£1,500 excluding VAT
|Large scale major
- 100 residential units or more
- 10,000 square metres or greater commercial floor space
|£2,000 excluding VAT
PADs for householders or commercial properties under 200 square metres are free. There is also no charge for non-profit community related projects.
What to expect
We want to help you through the planning application process and will provide advice based on the information you give us.
Included as part of the fee is an initial meeting and a follow up meeting where required. An initial meeting is only included for large scale major proposals with a charge for additional meetings if needed.
The charge for additional meetings, if they are needed is £500 or £1,000 for largescale major proposals.
When submitting your Pre-Application Decision form the following information is needed:
- Location plan to 1:1250 or 1:2500 scale
- The site to be outlined in red with a north point shown
- Any neighbouring land in the applicant’s ownership marked in blue
- Sketch plans and elevations, existing and proposed
- Details of the access and parking
- Planning history if known
- Photographs of the site and surroundings
- Technical studies if available. For example transport, flood risk, drainage, contamination risk and trees
Making an appointment
If you would like to make an appointment, please complete our Pre-Application Discussion form and return to us by emailing email@example.com
or posting it to:
Belfast Planning Service
Cecil Ward Building
4-10 Linenhall Street
To pay for your Pre-Application Discussion you can:
- call 028 9032 0202 and use your debit or credit card, or
- pay in person at our planning reception using your debit or credit card, cash or cheque. Cheques must be made out to Belfast City Council.
We do not publish requests for pre-application advice but we may be obligated to disclose this information in response to any relevant freedom of information request received. You must give your agreement for this to be disclosed or provide reasons why it should not on your application form.