Under Section 4 of the Food Hygiene Rating Act (Northern Ireland) 2016, you can request an inspection to re-rate your food business establishment.
When applying for a re-rating inspection you must make sure that the following conditions are met:
- You must wait until the end of the 21 days appeal period before you apply for a re-rating inspection.
- Any appeal against the current food hygiene rating has been determined or abandoned.
- You must provide details of the improvements made to hygiene standards with your request, including supporting evidence where appropriate.
- You must be compliant with the Act. This means that you must display your current valid rating sticker. A re-rating inspection will not be carried out if you are found to be non-compliant and a £200 fixed penalty notice may be served for non-compliance.
- You must pay £150 for the re-rating inspection.
If any of the conditions are not met your request will be refused.
Once you complete the online form and payment has been received, we will complete an assessment ensuring all conditions have been met. The re-rating inspection will take place within three months of the request being made. You will not be informed of the specific date and time of the visit.
Most re-rating inspections will lead to an improved rating, however it is possible for a lower rating to be given if standards have fallen.
Request a re-rating inspection
To complete your application you will need your unique Premises Reference Number (PRN). This can be found on your notification letter.
Re-rating inspections cost £150 and are non-refundable.
Please make sure the 21 day appeal period has passed before applying and that all recommended improvements have been made.
To request a re-rating inspection:
Downloaded re-rating inspection forms can be emailed to email@example.com or posted to:
City and Neighbourhood Services Department
Belfast City Council
Cecil Ward Building
4-10 Linenhall Street