A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Licences and permits

Coronavirus update

Our offices at Cecil Ward Building are closed. We are working remotely with a limited service. Please continue to contact us as outlined and we will resolve any issues as quickly as possible.

We can:

  • answer your queries, but our processing of all application types is limited
  • receive applications by email and online
  • work with applicants to try and resolve any difficulties that may arise. But we may not be able to issue all licences, permits or certificates
  • accept online payments

We're unable to collect all our post, postal applications or postal payments.

You can also contact us about: 

  • food safety
  • health and safety
  • environmental protection
  • public health 
  • housing and dog control by emailing 

You can also email

You can also contact us by email about:

• entertainment licensing
• petroleum licensing
• cinema licensing
• amusement permits
• street trading
• road closures
• pavement café licensing

Our licences

 A-G  H-S
Approval of a food business

Apply for approval of a food business. 

Register a hairdressing or barber business.

Amusement permit
Apply for an amusement permit to operate an amusement arcade

Lottery licence
Apply for a licence to set up a lottery
Caravan or campsite
Apply for a caravan or campsite licence to operate a caravan or camping site in Belfast

Market licence
Apply for a licence to set up a market or car boot sale

Certificate of fitness 
If you're a landlord who owns a property built before 1945, and you have started or changed a tenancy since April 2007, you may need to apply for a certificate of fitness

Marriage and civil partnership licence
We can grant certain venues a three-year licence to hold civil marriage and partnership ceremonies

Cinema licence 
Apply for a cinema licence

Pavement cafés licence
Pavement cafés in Belfast a licence

Cooling towers 
If you own a cooling tower or evaporative condenser, you must register with us

Petroleum licence
Apply, renew or transfer a petroleum licence
Cosmetic business permit 
Register a cosmetic business

Poisonous substances 

If you sell certain poisons, you must register with us

Dog licence
Apply for a single or block dog licence

Pollution prevention and control
Apply for a pollution prevention and control permit
Entertainment licence
Apply for an entertainment licence
Register a food business
Register your food business
Food hygiene re-rating inspection
Request an inspection to re-rate your food business establishment.
Road closures

Apply for a road closure for your event. 

Free printed material permit
Apply for a permit to distribute printed material in certain areas of Belfast
Safety at sports grounds

Sports grounds in Belfast with a capacity of 5,000 people or more must have a valid safety certificate

Guard dog kennels
Register guard dog kennels
Street trading 
Apply for a street trading licence

Sunday trading 

You do not need a Sunday trading licence or permit from us, but there are restrictions on how long certain large shops can open on a Sunday. 

Contact us
Building control
028 9027 0650
Building Control
Ground Floor
Cecil Ward Building
4-10 Linenhall Street

You can also contact City Protection Services (including environmental health).

028 9027 0428