A-Z: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Other types of noise

  • Barking dogs and other animals
  • Alarms
  • DIY
  • Construction
  • Commercial and industrial
  • Pubs bars and clubs
  • Vehicles, machinery or equipment

Barking dogs and other animals

Most of the complaints we receive about noisy animals relate to barking dogs.

If you're having problems with a barking dog, please speak to the owner first before making a formal complaint. The dog may be being left on its own for long periods of time, so your neighbour may not be aware of the problem.

If this doesn't help, call us on 028 9037 3006 and we can arrange for our dog wardens to visit the owner.

If they can't reduce the frequency and level of the barking, we'll conduct a formal investigation into your complaint.

This includes writing to your neighbour to advise them that we are investigating the noise.

We may also ask you to keep a diary recording the dates and times of each disturbance. This helps our officers work out the best time to hear the noise, as well as gather important evidence if legal action is required.

If we feel the noise is a nuisance we can serve the owner with a Noise Abatement Notice. This gives the owner a time limit to reduce the noise but, if it continues, they could face prosecution and a fine.


We can silence the alarm, and recover the costs from the alarm owner, if:

  • it has been sounding for more than 20 minutes continuously or intermittently for more than one hour
  • it is causing reasonable annoyance to those living or working nearby, or 
  • a keyholder for the property can't be contacted.

To register key-holder details, visit our register key-holder page.


If you feel your neighbour is carrying out excessive drilling or hammering or is working at unreasonable hours; call us for advice.


Building sites operating hours are restricted to Monday to Friday - 7am to 7pm and Saturday - 8am to 1pm

Builders who carry out noisy work outside of these hours may be prosecuted and face a fine of up to £5,000.

If you are a builder or contractor, you can find out about our Considerate Constructors Scheme or read our advice notes for construction and demolition sites.

Road works are given permission by the Roads Service to work at night to minimise disruption to traffic and pedestrians. However, we may also impose restrictions on the times road works can be carried out. Contractors are expected to make every effort to minimise the nuisance they may cause to local residents 

Information about planned and ongoing road works is available from or by calling the Roads Service (Belfast Division) on 028 9025 3000.

Commercial and industrial

This includes noise caused by heavy machinery, air conditioning units or delivery vehicles. We can assess the noise or ask you to keep a diary recording the dates and times of each disturbance. If we are satisfied that it's causing a nuisance, we can issue the business owner with a Noise Abatement Notice. This gives the owner a time limit to reduce the noise but, if it continues, they could face prosecution.

Pubs, bars and clubs

If a premises is making excessive noise we will serve them with a warning notice asking them to reduce the noise within ten minutes. If the person responsible does not comply with the notice, we will take noise measurements. 

If they don’t comply with the permitted noise level , we can issue them with a fine of £500 or they could face prosecution in the courts.

If the licensee does not comply with our conditions or requests we may take legal action against them. And, as a resident, you also have the right to object to an entertainment licence being granted or renewed if you feel it would disturb you.

Vehicles, machinery and equipment

We can issue an abatement notice on the person responsible, giving a time frame to reduce or stop the noise.
Anyone causing noise nuisance through any vehicle, machinery and equipment in the street can be fined up to £5,000. If it is an industrial trade or business premises the fine can be up to £20,000.

General traffic noise from vehicles travelling on roads is not covered by this legislation.

We have no legal power to deal with complaints about noise caused by civil or military aircrafts. This includes noise from flights in and out of George Best Belfast City Airport and any military planes, helicopters and other low-flying aircraft.

Complaints can be made to the following organisations:
  • Noise complaint line (George Best Belfast City Airport) - 028 9093 5020 or
  • Ports and Public Transport Division (Department for Regional Development) - 028 9054 0540
  • Civil Aviation Authority - 012 9357 3270 or

Contact us
Noise control
028 9037 3006
Environmental Protection Unit
Cecil Ward Building
4-10 Linenhall Street