Dangerous buildings or structuresEvery owner or occupier of a property is responsible for maintaining their building in a safe condition so it isn't a danger to people using it or people on nearby public roads or footpaths.
If your building or structure becomes dangerous or open and vacant we'll ask you to remove the danger by either repairing, making safe or demolishing the building or structure.
As well as dealing with dangerous buildings we also have powers to deal with ruinous or dilapidated buildings.
Open and vacant propertiesOpen and vacant properties are properties that no-one is using which have windows or outside doors unsecured, that is, the doors are not locked or are missing.
We and the Northern Ireland Housing Executive (NIHE) are responsible for making sure that these properties are safe and don't cause a threat to the public.
We and the NIHE deal with the following:
- Unused housing which is structurally unstable and would not be made safe by making the property secure
- Unused housing which needs demolishing and which is not attached to other housing
- Any other open and empty property which causes a threat to members of the public, for example, an office or shop.
- Unused housing which is not structurally dangerous
- Unused housing which needs demolishing and which is attached to other housing that is being used
- All NIHE housing.
Dangerous structuresDangerous structures are buildings, parts of buildings or other structures which cause a structural threat, for example, because they may collapse, are a danger to anyone in or around them, or anyone using a nearby public road or footpath.
We'll treat any report of a dangerous structure as a priority, and will investigate all reports of dangerous structures within 24 hours, and most urgent cases within one hour.
Report a dangerous structure or an open and vacant building
OnlineUse our online form to report a dangerous or open and dangerous structure
PhoneDuring office hours call our helpline: 028 9027 0650 or 028 9027 0432.
Outside office hours call our emergency line: 07850 499 622.
We'll need as much detail as you can give us, including the property address, what condition the property is in and, if possible, the name, address and contact numbers for the owner.
Dangerous Structures and Places PolicyWe've developed a policy which explains how we deal with dangerous structures in the city and provides guidance on our legislative and enforcement powers.
- Download the Dangerous Structures and Places Policy (PDF - 181KB, 16 pages)