Young people: Social Mobility Business Partnership
This programme provides year 13 students (or equivalent), from schools and learning centres across Belfast, with an opportunity to carry out a structured week of work experience with some of Belfast’s leading employers.
You will benefit from visiting four different businesses through the week, learning through interactive business games. On the fifth day, you will visit a professional sports club to learn about the psychology of resilience.
The schedule for the week is:
- 1 July – UTV
- 2 July – PwC
- 3 July – Herbert Smith Freehills
- 4 July – BT
- 5 July – Ulster Rugby – resilience training
Lunch and travel will be provided for the week. Once you have completed the programme, you will also benefit from ongoing mentoring and coaching support. An online coaching platform will also support you through your journey to a career.
This programme will provide you with the chance to:
- go through a recruitment and selection process and receive support to develop your interview skills
- gain an insight into what it is like to work in leading global companies
- provide help and support to get a wide range of experiences that will develop your employability skills and look great on your CV
- enhance your employability skills and maximise chances of developing a rewarding future career
- positively shape a pathway for career progression.
To apply, you must meet the following criteria:
- Be in Year 13 (or equivalent).
- Attend school in Belfast or live in Belfast.
- 5 GCSEs Grades A-C including Maths and English.
- live in an area where young people are least likely to move into Higher Education. You need to live in a Polar 3 Rating of 1 or 2. To check this, visit Office for Student's website.
Please note, if there are large numbers of applicants in Level 1, this may become part of the criteria.
- be entitled to Free School Meals.
- be the first generation in their family to go to university.
Support with making your application and to find out more
We are running a series of events across the city from 25 March – 4 April, 4pm – 5.30pm to provide you with more information on the programme and to help you make a good application to help you to be successfully shortlisted for interview and to do a good interview.
How to apply
Applications for this have now closed.
Next steps for those who have applied
Interviews will be held on 24 and 25 April 2019 in 9 Adelaide, Belfast City Council:
9-21 Adelaide Street
You will be contacted directly to be told whether or not you have successfully secured an interview.
Successful applicants will be invited to an information session in City Hall on 9 May 2019.
Work experience opportunities for all successful interviewees will take place for the entire week of 1 – 5 July 2019. You need to be available all week.
To find out more about this programme, visit the SMBP website or contact Economic Development on 028 9027 0482.