Register a birth
You can now register your child, without the HS123 registration form, at your GP practice.
You will need the following information when you contact the GP:
- Your child’s health and social care number, this in the red book from the hospital
- Your child's full name
- Home address where your child will live
We are unable to register births.
If you have any queries, please email email@example.com and we will contact you as soon as possible.
Our office opening hours are:
|Monday to Thursday
||9.30am to 4.15pm
||9.30am to 3.45pm
|Saturday and Sunday
|Public and bank holidays
||View holiday arrangements
How to register a birth
You will need to fill in a birth registration form. This is usually completed by the person registering the birth (normally the child's mother).
Who can register?
- The mother or father of the baby, if you are a married couple
- grandfather or grandmother
- uncle or aunt
- occupier of the premises where the baby was born
- any person present at the child's birth
- any person who has charge of the child.
In the case of a child born to an unmarried couple, the details of the father may be recorded if:
- both parents attend and sign the registration form together, or
- a declaration of paternity is produced
More information about this is available from the NI Direct website
A birth can also be registered to two female parents under certain circumstances.
What will I receive?
Once the birth is registered, you will receive one free short birth certificate and a HS123 infant registration form to help you register with your family doctor and obtain your child's medical card. Additional certificates, either short or full, may be purchased at the time of registration for £8 per copy. You can pay by credit card, debit card, cheque or cash.
The General Register Office, based at NISRA, Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR, provides help and advice about the following issues:
- re-registering a birth, for example, if you want to add the father's name after the initial registration
- recording name changes
Detailed information about all these topics is available from the nidirect website