A stillbirth should be registered as soon as possible. Registration is free and can be done in any District Registrar's office in Northern Ireland.
Our Registrar's office is located in Belfast City Hall
Our office opening hours are:
|Monday to Thursday
||9.30am to 4.30pm
||Last entrance to registration is 4.15pm
||9.30am to 4pm
||Last entrance to registration is 3.45pm
|Saturday and Sunday
|Public and bank holidays
||View holiday arrangements
You may also make an appointment by calling 028 9027 0455
or email email@example.com
What information will I need?
You will need a medical certificate, signed by a doctor, which shows the cause of stillbirth. We will also need:
- full name and surname of the baby
- date and place of death
- usual address
- full names and occupations of the baby's mother and father.
Who can register?
- mother or father of the baby
- maternal grandfather
- maternal grandmother
- maternal uncle
- maternal aunt
- occupier of the premises where the stillbirth took place, for example, a governor or matron
- any person present at the stillbirth.
Advice and support
The NI Direct website has details of organisations which can provide support after a bereavement.