Mural replacement programme
We are making £25,000 available to help communities replace murals in their local area that could be seen as causing offence to the wider community.
Community groups can apply for funding up to a maximum of £5,000 to remove, replace or transform existing murals.
The funding can be used for projects that will:
- remove, replace or transform an existing mural that is seen as aggressive in content,
- involve the wider community in the project,
- engage residents on local related issues,
- support engagement activities on issues of physical separation,
- link to T:BUC (Together: Building a United Community Strategy) priorities of improving attitudes among children and young people, creating safe and shared communities, promoting positive cultural expression and promoting good relations within communities,
- show value for money, and
- develop a positive image that links to a significant centenary event, topic or other subject of relevance to the local community.
Applications closed on Friday 30 September 2016 at 4pm.
- Anyone applying for funding must have permission to deliver this project from the site or land owner where the existing mural is located, and a letter of permission from the land owner must be provided.
- Funding is only available for the design, development and consultation involved in the mural. There are no maintenance costs included in this fund.
- All projects must be completed by March 2017.
- The funding is to support the removal and replacement of murals that contain anything that could be seen as causing offence to the general public, such as paramilitary imagery, threatening slogans, weaponry or organisation initials.
- Funding applications must include:
- A description of your proposed project, including your reasons for wanting to remove and replace this image, timescales for delivery and photographs.
- Details on how this project will improve good relations and any consultation you intend to carry out.
- How much funding you are requesting (maximum funding is £5,000) with a detailed budget breakdown.