Sail Training Voyages 2017
To engage the young people of Belfast City and to change lives by creating access to Sail Training Voyages for trainees from all abilities and various backgrounds.
- promote active citizenship and increase the participation in civic life
- health and wellbeing
- environment and climate change
- improve the key competencies and skills of young people
- increase the participation of young people with fewer opportunities
- promote intercultural learning and dialogue
- promote social inclusion and solidarity
- increased learning mobility
- innovation and employability
We currently run programmes which recognise that outdoor education and sail training enhance the lives of young people regardless of their ability or background.
We, along with our key public, private and community partners, seek the development of transferable skills that can be applied to future employment opportunities. In the context of a city agenda we will seek to tackle the ongoing challenges and to ensure neighbourhoods are not left behind based on the Belfast Employability & Skills Framework.
Additionally we aim to promote inclusion and diversity and an acceptance of different backgrounds and abilities, improving and strengthening the collaboration between partner organisations and promoting young people’s confidence and willingness to participate actively in society.
The 2017 program consisted of five main events:
- sailing a classic wooden ship and Belfast Lough exploration day for 11 – 15 year olds.
- community Dinghy sailing and maritime education experience for 11 to 15 year olds.
- Tall Ships Voyages for 15 to 28 year olds.
- Tall ships mentor training and volunteering.
- Sail Training program celebration event held in City Hall
This gallery shows photos of trainees who received their certificates at the Sail Training program celebration event. If you can’t see this gallery, visit www.flickr.com/belfastcitycouncil
If you have any queries, please call Stephen Tate, Community Development Officer, on 028 9032 0202 ext 3584 or email firstname.lastname@example.org