CowParade 2012We've teamed up with Asitis Consulting, Derry City Council and ILEX to bring CowParade to Northern Ireland in 2012.
Up to 200 beautifully decorated cows will be on display at various locations in Belfast and Londonderry until December 2012.
At the end of the CowParade, the cows will be sold at auction to help raise money for charity.
- What is CowParade?
- Belfast cows
- Why are we supporting the event?
- Famous cows and owners
- Further information
The event has been held in over 75 cities worldwide, including Chicago, New York, London, Paris, Taipei and Mexico City and has involved some of the world's premier artists, designers and craftsmen.
CowParade cows have been seen by an estimated 100 million people and, through their sale at auction, have raised over £25 million for charities worldwide.
CowParade NI cows will be sold at auction their time on public display to raise funds for charity partners, Barnardo's Northern Ireland and Depaul Ireland
- See the list of Belfast cows below
- View photos of Belfast cows
|Design theme||Location||Community sponsor||Community artist|
|The Diamond Jubilee|
Featuring pop-art images of the Queen to commemorate the Jubilee celebrations
|Shankill Women's Centre
151-157 Shankill Road
Open to the public Monday – Thursday, 9am – 5pm and Friday, 9am – 2pm.
|Shankill Women's Centre||Andy Hipson|
Images of some of the 10,000 flags that are flown over the Springfield Road peace line.
5-7 Conway Street
|Belfast Flags project||Raymond Watson|
A humorous interpretation of how milk is produced with 'portholes' providing a view into the internal workings of a cow's conversion of grass to milk.
|Crescent Arts Centre
2-4 University Road
|Lisburn Road traders||Paperclip Architects|
Images of Black Mountain, community based buildings and local public art.
216 Falls Road
|An Cultúrlann||Dónal O Dálaugh|
Depicting the friendship group made up from different nationalities now living in Belfast.
|Crescent Arts Centre
2-4 University Road
|Belfast Friendship Club||Jennifer Hanley|
|Musical - rock and roll
A street art interpretation of Belfast's musical heritage.
|Oh Yeah Music Centre
15-21 Gordon Street
|Oh Yeah Music Centre||Tim McCarthy|
|Cross community cow
A representation of how music has brought communities together in peace.
|University of Ulster
|Inner East Network Group||Rosheen Heath|
Photographs and drawings of local wildlife and heritage.
|Hannahstown Community Garden, 23 Hannahstown Hill||Hannahstown Community Centre||Eamonn McCrory|
Titanic of 1912 and 2012.
|Hammer Community Centre
|Hammer Community Centre||Anne Quail|
Visions of things young people from New Lodge would like to own or see in their lives.
5 Churchill Street
|New Lodge Arts||Ed Reynolds|
|St George's Market
Featuring the signatures of and messages from the market traders.
|St George's Market||St George's Market||Market traders|
Sailor cow designed in an 'all at sea' theme.
Belfast LGBT Centre
9 – 13 Waring Street
Belfast BT1 2DX
|Pride Festival||Philip Rees|
Photos and videos
- View photos of CowParade launch at Belfast City Hall
- View photo galleries of previous cows
- View videos of previous cows
CowParade will benefit the city by:
- bringing more colour, fun, vibrancy and creativity to our streets during 2012's programme of events and experiences and is part of our City Dressing campaign
- enhancing various areas of Belfast raising awareness of our heritage and future potential
- generating an international media profile and improving visitors' perceptions of our city
- encouraging greater pride in local areas by increasing community participation in tourism projects and engaging the support of local businesses
- giving local artists the opportunity to display their work, with designs developed with the local community.
Famous designersMany cows have been designed by famous names including:
- Patrick Hughes
- Di Rosa
- Vivienne Westwood
- Ronnie Wood
- John Rocha
Famous ownersThe cows are auctioned off for charity at the end of the parade. Some famous cow owners include:
- Oprah Winfrey
- Vaclav Havel
- Ringo Starr
- Elton John
- David James
- Princess Firyal of Jordan.