Dog licencesAll dogs must have a valid licence and wear a dog licence tag. This means that both the dog, and its owner, are registered with us.
You must also make sure it wears an identity tag, with your name, address and contact telephone number, to help us trace you if the dog goes missing.
It is against the law not to have a licence for your dog unless the dog is:
- a puppy under six months old and kept by the person who is also the keeper of the mother that gave birth to the puppy
- an assistance dog used by a disabled person
- a police dog.
Apply for a single dog licence onlineA single dog licence costs £12.50 and is valid for one year.
If you are aged 65 or older, a licence for your first dog is free and £5 for any additional dog.
The licence fee will also be reduced to £5 if:
- you receive income support or housing benefit, or
- your dog is sterilised.
You can apply for a single dog licence (for up to three dogs) online.
We recommend using Internet Explorer 8 or above to complete this form.
Before you register, please read the terms and conditions for online services as well as our privacy statement for online services
Apply for a dog licence by telephone or by postTo apply for a dog licence, complete the form below and send it to us at:
Belfast City Council
Health & Environmental Services Department
9 Lanyon Place
- Download single dog licence application form (PDF - 154 KB)
You can also call us on 028 9027 0431 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form.
Please note that we can't register dogs as 'mongrels'. You can check the breed of your dog by visiting the Kennel Club website
Block dog licenceA block dog licence is £32 and is for dog breeders or kennels with three or more dogs. It's valid for one year.
Anyone wishing to buy a block dog licence must present proof with their application that they have at least three or more dogs registered with Kennel Club or any other approved registering organisation. We accept copies of registration documents and will return these once we issue the licence.
No concessions are available for block licences.
Refunds and transfersIf your dog dies, you can apply for a refund of your licence. You must apply within six months of your dog's death.
- Download dog licence refund application form (PDF - 14KB)
- Download dog licence refund application form (Word - 17KB)
dog licence transfer certificate application form (PDF - 27KB)
- Download dog licence transfer certificate application form (Word- 30KB)
Fines for not licensing your dogThe fixed penalty notices for dog licensing offences are:
- not having a licence for your dog - £80 (£50 if paid within 14 days)
- not displaying a licence tag or ID on your dog - £80 (£50 if paid within 14 days)