Guard dog kennelsIf you operate guard dog kennels within the Belfast City Council electoral area, you must register with us.
Register guard dog kennels onlineThere is no charge to register guard dog kennels, but you must have a valid dog licence before you can apply.
|Register guard dog kennels|
We recommend using Internet Explorer 8 or above to complete this form.
Before you register, please read the terms and conditions for online services as well as our privacy statement for online services
What happens when I register?If this is your first application, we'll arrange an inspection of the kennels named to make sure they comply with our terms and conditions for kennels
Once we are satisfied that all your facilities comply with our terms and conditions, we'll issue you with a certificate of registration.
The registration remains valid until you tell us that you no longer need the registration or if we decide to revoke your registration.
We will do this if you do not meet the terms and conditions of your registration.
Our wardens will also inspect your kennels annually to make sure there are no breeches of these terms and conditions. You must show proof of your public liability insurance during this inspection.
All kennelling facilities must meet Department of Agricultural and Rural Development (DARD) guidelines and be in accordance with the Animal Welfare Act 1972.
This means that:
- they must provide sufficient exercise areas, bedding and food for the number of dogs kennelled
- the dogs must have access to water, fresh air and daylight
- the dogs must be vaccinated and registered with a vet
- there must be isolation facilities for the dogs
- there should be an environmental management system in place
- the kennelling facility must have adequate warning signs displayed around the perimeter of the premises and at any access points.
Can my application be refused?If you have been convicted of any offence under the Dogs (Northern Ireland) Order 1983 (as amended) or under Part III of the Welfare of Animals Act (Northern Ireland) 1972, we may refuse or cancel your application.
This also applies if you do not comply with our terms and conditions.