Where I get a copy of an old birth/death/marriage certificate?
In Northern Ireland, the General Register Office holds civil birth, adoption, death, marriage and civil partnership records.
They also have a public research room where you can search through computerised records for a particular event.
The office, which is located in Chichester Street in Belfast city centre, can help to find information about:
- births registered in Northern Ireland from 1 January 1864
- adoptions recorded in the Adopted Children Register Northern Ireland from 1 January 1931
- deaths registered in Northern Ireland from 1 January 1864
- non-Roman Catholic marriages from 1 April 1845, and all marriages from 1 January 1864
- civil partnerships registered in Northern Ireland from 5 December 2005
- World War II death indexes from 1939 to 1945.
You can also order historical certificates online from the General Register Office through the NI Direct website
More information about tracing historical records is available from our local and family history section.