How can I help to prevent my pipes bursting in cold weather?
There are steps you can take to prevent pipes from freezing or bursting.
- keeping your home as warm as possible, even when it is unoccupied
- lagging pipes which are fitted in exposed or draughty areas
- leaving the trap door to your roofspace open to let warm air flow in
- checking to make sure taps are turned off properly, especially late at night
- never using an electric, gas or paraffin heater in your roofspace
- familiarising yourself with your water supply and locating the main stopcock which turns off the supply to your property.
- put hot water bottles or a thick cloth, soaked in hot water, over the frozen pipe
- begin at the end of the pipe (nearest the tap) and work your way along the pipe
- never use a naked flame.
- use the main stopcock to turn off the water supply to your home
- if you can`t stop the flow of water, drain the system by opening all your cold taps
- if the burst pipe is in your storage tank, turn off the stop valve (this is inside your storage tank)
- drain the system by turning on all your hot taps, allowing the fire to burn out
- turn your heating off until a plumber has examined the burst pipe.
View NI Water video
Download NI water leaflet (PDF)