Cleaning up after a flood
After your property has been flooded you should follow good hygiene practices when cleaning up.
Make sure everyone washes their hands after each work session and always before meals.
- Wear work clothes while you are cleaning up and change when you are finished.
- Ideally you should use protective clothing such as rubber boots, waterproof gloves
and a waterproof coat or apron.
- If you are scrubbing, hosing or pressure-washing, you may cause a lot of splashing and it is a good idea to
wear a standard face mask, such as those sold by DIY stores.
Goggles offer added protection and they can be reused after thorough washing.
- Wear gloves when handling items that have been in contact with the water.
- Flood water is likely to be contaminated and could contain sewage.
Disinfect and clean thoroughly everything that is wet.
- Use waterproof plasters on cuts and grazes.
- Remember to keep your mobile phone dry when you are working in wet conditions.