Making sure your property is safeCleaning up after a flood is heavy, manual work.
Even after the water has drained away there are a number of hazards which remain and you need to be aware of.
Safety dos and don'ts
- Ventilate all areas thoroughly before you work in them. This is especially true of under floor areas and confined spaces. If there is a strong odour in these places seek advice from us before you enter. Call us on 028 9027 0428.
- Watch out for any broken glass or nails while you're clearing up.
- Use circuit breakers on electrical equipment until your house dries out, even when the electrics have been checked.
- Use your electricity mains until it has been checked by a qualified electrician.
- Use damp electrical equipment – get it checked by a professional.
- Try to move heavy items such as fallen trees on your own. Remember that soft furnishings will be soaked and much heavier than normal. Used sandbags will be much heavier than when dry.
- Use petrol or diesel generators or pumps indoors. They can produce carbon monoxide which can kill.
- Use barbecues or camping stoves inside.