How to apply
We want to make it easy to apply for a job with Belfast City Council.
We recognise the recruitment process can be confusing and does vary depending on the employer. To help you, we have summarised our recruitment process in a guidance pack.
To apply for a job with us, you must complete an application form. We do not accept CVs. This is to ensure that all information is presented in the same way, so all applicants are treated fairly. Application forms can be downloaded by clicking on the specific job.
There are a number of ways you can apply:
Download the application form
To apply for a job with us, you must complete an application form.
You can download an application form in both Word and PDF format. You can either:
Completed application forms should be emailed to email@example.com.
You will receive an automatic reply when your application has been received. If you do not receive an acknowledgement within 30 minutes, please call us on 028 9027 0640 to confirm receipt.
|Monday - Thursday
||8.30am - 5pm
||8.30am - 4.30pm
|Saturday and Sunday
You must confirm receipt before the closing date and time as we will not be able to accept applications which were sent but not received before the closing date and time.
You can write to us or visit us for an application form. You can then return the completed application form by post or by visiting our office:
Cecil Ward Building
4-10 Linenhall Street
Belfast, BT2 8BP
If you have a disability, or your first language is not English, and you have difficulties, please call us on 028 9027 0640.
Where we advertise
All our jobs are advertised on our website. Publicly advertised jobs also appear either, in the Belfast Telegraph (including NI Jobfinder online), Irish News and Newsletter on a fortnightly basis, or, in the Department for the Economy, Jobs and Benefits Office. We also post them on our LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter pages.
Before applying for one of our advertised jobs, please read our guidance pack. It contains a section by section guide to filling out the application form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring form.
- Read the guidance pack which outlines the recruitment process and provides advice on completing your application form.
- Read the supporting information before completing your application form and be sure to complete all of the application form relevant to you. Make sure you include the specific information requested in each area.
- If you do not tell us, we will not know. We will not make assumptions about you or your abilities, even if you already work for the council. For this reason, it is important to provide examples of what you have done before in your application form.
- Provide as much information as you can in support of the criteria described in the job description and employee specification but make sure you keep to the space provided. Any information which runs on to another page will not be taken into consideration).
- Give examples to support that you fill the job criteria. For example, “I have excellent written communication skills, this is evidenced in the Committee reports I am responsible for writing. I also write complex letters to customers on a regular basis”.
- Proof read your application form – make sure the information is clear, precise and easily understood.
- Keep a copy of your application form, the job description and employee specification to refer to should you be invited to interview.
- Return your application form before the closing date. If you send it by email and do not receive an auto acknowledgement, make sure you confirm receipt before the closing time. It is the time your application is received which matters – not the time sent.
- Keep free any interview dates that may be advertised.
You can call us on 028 9027 0640 for more information or to confirm your application was received.