Why work for us?We employ around 2,600 people. Our employees are spread over 100 locations across Belfast and are employed within seven council departments.
Here are a few reasons why we think we’re a great employer:
- We offer career development opportunities which you can apply for on a temporary or permanent basis.
- We offer a structured approach to training and development, including developing personal development plans for all employees.
- We also offer financial assistance and time off work for employees who wish to study for formal work-related qualifications.
- Our pension scheme is the Northern Ireland Local Government Officers’ Superannuation Committee (NILGOSC) scheme. As an employee, your contribution rate depends on how much you are paid but will be between 5.5% and 7.5% of your pensionable pay. The employer’s contribution rate is currently 16%.
You can check the NILGOSC website for up-to-date contribution rates. You may also be able transfer your service contributions from your previous employer to the NILGOSC scheme.
- We offer reduced national insurance contributions.
- We offer an in-service death benefit which is equivalent to three years of your pensionable salary payable to your estate tax free.
- We also offer a widow's pension benefit.
Work Life BalanceWe’ve developed a range of flexible working practices to make it easier for our employees to have a balance between the demands of work and their personal life.
- job-share and part-time working
- phased returns to work and career breaks
- maternity, paternity, adoption, parental, carer’s, marriage, bereavement, special and annual leave
- a childcare voucher scheme for employees.
Annual leaveFor annual leave, we offer the following:
|Grade||Leave||Leave after five years||Leave after ten years|
|Up to Scale 6||21||25||28|
|SO1 and above||23||28||31|
|Head of Service||30||33||33|
The leave year starts on 1 April and new employees will be entitled to leave proportionate to completed months of service.