Belfast Parks Photographic Competition
The Parks Photographic Competition 2018 is now open and you have the chance to win a share of £1,000 courtesy of the competition sponsor John McQuillan (Contracts) Ltd. The winners of each category will receive a canvas of their winning photograph and also have the opportunity to attend a photographic workshop courtesy of Jessops.
We are looking for photographs of your favourite views in parks. Your photos must have been taken in one of Belfast City Council’s parks or open spaces and they should focus on our park landscapes, people in our parks or summertime in our parks.
How to enter
To enter the competition simply select one of the categories and upload your entry through our online form.
You can only enter one category but you can submit up to three photographs in your chosen category.
The four categories are:
- People in our parks: such as people walking, jogging, cycling, attending events or using outdoor gyms, playgrounds, allotments and bowling greens.
- Park landscapes: for example landscape shots, animals, trees, plants, buildings and horticultural displays in a recognisable park setting.
- Summertime in our parks: for example flowers in bloom, wonderful sunsets and sunrises or those lazy summer days.
- Under 16s - photo must have been taken by a person aged 16 years or under.
To be eligible, your photos must have been taken after January 2018 and they must have been taken from an area of the park that’s open to the public and is a recognisable park setting.
The competition is open to everyone, except professional photographers. We cannot accept photographs that have won prizes in other external competitions, or photographs that were entered into a previous Belfast Parks photographic competition.
Closing date for receiving entries is Friday 5 October 2018 before 4pm.
2017 winners and prizes
The winners of the Parks Photographic Competition 2017 are:
- Niall Boyle - 1st place, Active Parks
- Angus White - 2nd place, Active Parks
- Aoife Britton - 3rd place, Active Parks
- Grace Hamilton - 1st place, Park landscapes
- Paul Elliot - 2nd place, Park landscapes
- Colin White - 3rd place, Park landscapes
- Tara O'Brien - 1st place, Summertime in parks
- William Allen - 2nd place, Summertime in parks
- Malcolm Moorehead - 3rd place, Summertime in parks
- Abi Lopes - 1st place, Under 16s
- Robbie Cooper - 2nd place, Under 16s
- Amy Cooper - 3rd place, Under 16s
Prizes were awarded for the best photos received in each category - first prize £150, second prize £100, and third prize £50. There were also special prizes for the best photos submitted by under 16s - first prize £50, second prize £30 and third prize £20.
All winners will be on display at all of our main park events such as Spring Fair and Rose Week in 2018.
View the winning photographs from our Parks Photographic competition 2017.
View previous entries from our Parks Photographic Competition over the last 10 years.
View previous winners from our Parks Photographic Competitions.