Lord Mayor of Belfast
The current Lord Mayor of Belfast is Alderman Gavin Robinson (DUP).
Alderman Robinson was elected to office on 1 June 2012 and will serve as Lord Mayor until June 2013.
He has represented the Pottinger area of east Belfast since March 2010 when he was co-opted to replace Sammy Wilson. He was then elected in May 2011.
A life long east Belfast resident, the 27 year old politician continues to live in the area with his wife Lindsay.
Educated at Queen's University, he read Law and attained a Masters in Irish Politics before commencing practice as a barrister.
He is currently a member of the East Belfast District Policing and Community Safety Partnership subgroup, having previously represented the council on the board of the Ulster Orchestra and the World Police and Fire Games 2013.
Duties and responsibilitiesAs Lord Mayor of Belfast, Alderman Robinson has a number of duties and responsibilities:
- presiding over council meetings and, in the case of equality of votes, he has a second or casting vote
- promoting and raising awareness of the council’s main objectives and priority issues
- encouraging and supporting all aspects of life in Belfast by attending civic and public events
- receiving distinguished visitors to the city
- acting as host on behalf of the council and the citizens of Belfast at civic functions
- acting as a spokesperson to the local, national and international media
- providing an appropriate response on behalf of Belfast at times of local, national and international catastrophe
- supporting and encouraging charitable and other appeals as appropriate
- promoting Belfast's business, commercial, cultural and social life
- promoting Belfast as a place of excellence in which to do business and as a tourist destination.
Addressing the Lord MayorIf you are speaking in public and would like to welcome or introduce the Lord Mayor, the usual form of address is simply 'Lord Mayor'. For example, "and so, I'd like to welcome Alderman Gavin Robinson, Lord Mayor of Belfast."
If you are speaking to the Lord Mayor in conversation, the correct title remains 'Lord Mayor'.
If you would like to write to the Lord Mayor, you should address your letter to 'the Right Honourable, the Lord Mayor, Alderman Gavin Robinson. You can also abbreviate this to 'Rt Hon, the Lord Mayor, Alderman Gavin Robinson'.
You should also begin your letter with 'Dear Lord Mayor'.
Contact the Lord Mayor's officeFor more information about the Lord Mayor, contact us at:
Lord Mayor's Office
Belfast City Hall
Telephone: 028 9027 0486