Other types of noise
Noise in the street
- We will be able to investigate complaints about noise from vehicles, machinery or equipment in the street such as vehicle security alarms or portable generators.
- We can issue an abatement notice on the person responsible, giving a timeframe for them to reduce or stop the noise.
- General traffic noise from vehicles travelling on roads is not covered by this legislation.
- Noise nuisance from any vehicle, machinery and equipment in the street can be fined up to £5,000, except in the case of industrial trade or business premises where the fine can be up to £20,000.
Civil aircraftWe have no legal power to deal with complaints about noise caused by aircraft.
Complaints regarding noise from flights in and out of George Best Belfast City Airport can be made to the following organisations:
- Noise complaint line (George Best Belfast City Airport) - 028 9093 5020 or www.belfastcityairport.com
- Ports and Public Transport Division (Department for Regional Development) - 028 9054 0540
- Civil Aviation Authority - 012 9357 3270 or www.caa.co.uk