IntroductionThe Dargan Road Landfill facility is approximately 3.7 kilometres from Belfast City Centre on the North Foreshore of Belfast Lough. The site is located along the M2, on the shore of the Belfast Lough and beside the Duncrue Industrial Estate. The site comprises of approximately 340 acres of reclaimed land.
HistoryLandfilling of waste began in 1958 in the area now developed and known as Duncrue Estate. The demand for space for waste disposal led to the then Ministry of Development releasing 100 acres to the north of Dargan Road in 1973. In 1976, a further 240 acres were made available for use by us.
In 1981, landfill operations ceased on the southern part of the site and a programme of extensive temporary tree planting was undertaken along with structural landscaping. Tipping stopped in March 2007 in the northern part of the site and the final boundaries of the landfill operation have been set. There will be no further encroachment into the adjoining lagoons.