Palm HouseThe Palm House is located in Botanic Gardens and contains a range of tropical plants, hanging baskets and seasonal displays.
In the dome, tall trees are entwined with flowering climbers and hanging baskets and the perimeter benches are decorated with colourful plants.
Massed plants are displayed in the cool wing, where seasonal displays include Schizanthus blooms, spring bulbs, flame nettles, cyclamens and chrysanthemums.
The stove wing, which is hotter, contains a 'mini jungle' of exotic plants, including birds of paradise, frangipani and bromeliads.
Opening hoursWe are open at the following times. Please note that the Palm House is closed on Christmas Day only.
|April to September||Daily - 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 5pm
Last admission is at 4.50pm
|October to March||Daily - 10am to 12pm and 1pm to 4pm
Last admission is at 3.50pm
ToursTours can be arranged by calling the park manager on 028 9031 4762 or emailing email@example.com
HistoryThe Palm House is one of the earliest examples of a glasshouse made from curved iron and glass.
It shows how advances in glasshouse technology allowed horticulturists to grow exotic plant species during the Victorian period.
The building was designed by Sir Charles Lanyon, who also helped design parts of nearby Queen's University.
The foundation stone was laid in 1839 and the two wings were completed in 1840 by leading ironmaster Richard Turner. The dome was added in 1852.