Clement Wilson Park
View larger map Clement Wilson Bridge will reopen in August 2013. We’re replacing the footbridge as it isn't safe and must not be used. The new bridge will be named after John Luke, one of Belfast’s most celebrated artists.
We apologise for any inconvenience. This is a £200,000 project as part of our Investment Programme
Address: Newforge, Belfast, BT9 5NX
Entrance to the park is via Newforge Lane. Take Metro no.8 from Belfast city centre and get off at Newforge Lane junction. Metro no. 93 also serves the park. If you are walking or cycling, you can also enter the park at Malone Road, just after the House of Sport roundabout.
Clement Wilson Park is situated across from Shaw's Bridge in Lagan Valley Regional Park, south Belfast and is one of our most popular open spaces.
It is used by cyclists, wildlife enthusiasts and walkers as it contains several footpaths which link to the Lagan towpath, route 9 of the National Cycle Network and nearby Barnett Demesne
The River Lagan also flows through the park, making it a popular place to spot kingfishers and grey wagtails.
Opening hoursAll our parks open at 7.30am daily. Closing times vary according to the time of year - check full opening hours for parks
Contact detailsFor more information, call the park manager on 07802 301860 (Monday to Friday only, 9am to 4.30pm) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Walking routesClement Wilson is a popular spot for walking, jogging and cycling, due to its location near the Lagan Towpath.
- Download walking route for Clement Wilson Park (PDF - 159KB)
HistoryClement Wilson Park was originally occupied by a clog factory which produced goods for people working in the mills and other industries.
In 1929, the factory site was bought by Wilson Management Ltd, who also purchased 25 acres of land to the north-east of Shaw's Bridge as part of the deal. Further land was added in 1943 and 1960, bringing the site to 54 acres in total.
Wilson Management Ltd decided to use the factory to produce soft fruit for canning. Some of the fruit was grown in orchards which stood on what is now grassland belonging to the park, beside Newforge Lane.
Because the fruit company was located on the outskirts of Belfast, factory staff were unable to travel home for lunch. Instead, they spent their lunch break walking around the fields surrounding the factory.
After noticing how much his staff enjoyed using the site, company chairman Mr R Clement Wilson decided to landscape the grounds into gardens. The area became the first 'factory garden' in Northern Ireland.
The events of World War II changed Clement Wilson Park permanently. The factory closed and a water current, which began at Shaw's Bridge and fed water from the River Lagan to the site, was filled in using rubble from demolished air-raid shelters and buildings.
This covered millrace soon became a raised walkway and was known locally as Burmah Road. Today, it is the main path through the park.
In 1974, the council began negotiations with the Clement Wilson family to purchase their site. They bought 41 acres of land to turn into a public park, which was named after the company chairman following a request from the family.
Clement Wilson Park officially opened on 30 October 1975.