Services provided by usTo find out about what we do and what we hope to do in the future, download our Corporate Plan
Below is a list of just some of the services we provide, using the income from the district rate:
- Investment Programme (2012 - 2015)
Our £150 million Investment Programme aims to boost the local economy. This includes capital investment of £75 million to help build city and community assets and support employment in construction and other sectors.
- Super-connected Belfast
By 2015 we will provide access to next-generation fibre broadband across the entire city, affordable ultrafast broadband to businesses, and wi-fi access in areas of high footfall.
Parks and leisure
- Leisure and community centres We currently operate 10 leisure centres and 22 community centres across Belfast.
- Parks and recreational grounds
We manage two city parks, nine district parks, five country parks, 36 local parks, eight playing field sites, 76 playgrounds and four allotment sites across Belfast covering an area of approximately 3,000 acres.
- Rubbish, waste and recycling We carry out all aspects of waste collection and disposal for Belfast. We have four recycling centres and two civic amenity sites. We also provide a free bulky household waste collection service.
- Street cleaning We clean over 379,574km of streets every year.
- Building control We consider planning applications within the Belfast City Council area and submit views to the Planning Service.
- Public toilets
Providing public toilets at 15 sites across the city
- Regulatory and licensing responsibilities
We enforce regulatory and licensing responsibilities, in area such as environmental health, building control, public health, pollution, street trading.
- Births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships We look after the registration of births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships in Belfast.
- Cemeteries We manage and maintain nine cemeteries and the City of Belfast Crematorium.
Events, culture and tourism
- Culture, arts and tourism We promote culture, arts and tourism in Belfast by supporting and funding organisations.
- Events We organise major events each year including Halloween and Christmas celebrations, the Titanic Festival and Rose Week. We also help to organise sporting events.
- Management of venues and sites throughout Belfast We manage Belfast City Hall, Belfast Waterfront, Ulster Hall, Belfast Castle, Malone House and Belfast Zoo. We also manage the Gasworks Business Park, St George's Market, Smithfield Market, Duncrue and Balmoral Industrial Estates and various other sites in Belfast.
- Funding We provide funding for Investment Belfast, the Belfast Visitor and Convention Bureau (BVCB) and Belfast City Centre Management (BCCM) in conjunction with private and public sector partners.
- Advice centres and offices
We operate a Consumer Advice Centre, Neighbourhood Development Office and an outreach support office for the Traveller community.
We also provide funding to community groups, sports groups and community relations projects across Belfast.
- Support for businesses
We deliver a wide range of business support programmes to entrepreneurs and businesses.
- Youth Forum
We facilitate the Belfast City Council Youth Forum.
Working in partnership with many agencies on joint initiatives including the Community Safety Partnership, ARC21 Waste Management Partnership, Belfast Healthy Cities and the Area Partnerships Boards.