Risk assessments, safety policies and trainingThis information is for small business owners only.
Our Safety and Environmental Advice Service offers information on how your business can comply with health and safety requirements.
- completing risk assessments
- writing health and safety policies
- delivering free workshops and training sessions
- Download Protect Your Profit (PDF - 1MB)
And, if you employ five or more members of staff, you must, by law, write down the findings of this risk assessment.
Our advisors can help you carry out a risk assessment and can supply template documents and tables, as well as arranging a one-to-one visit and offering advice on other health and safety issues.
Examples of completed risk assessments are also available from the Health and Safety Executive website
Every business should have procedures in place to make sure accidents are prevented.
And, if you employ five or more members of staff, you must, by law, write down your procedures in the form of a safety policy.
This shows that you are committed to the wellbeing of your staff and outlines how your business will respond to the main hazards facing it.
A safety policy should include a general health and safety statement (signed and dated by the business owner or director), information about your organisation's structure and responsibilities and details of your health and safety arrangements.
Our advisors can provide you with a sample safety policy or give you more advice on how to write a policy for your business. Our safety and environmental advisors run free regular workshops and training sessions for local businesses.
- Bad Hand Day - designed specifically for hairdressers and barbers, this workshop highlighted and provided information about the skin condition dermatitis
- Catering Safety Initiative - this mentoring programme offered specific health and safety advice to small catering and hospitality businesses
- Stress Awareness Day - this campaign highlighted the effect stress has on the workplace and absenteeism levels amongst staff
- tailored workshops on a range of topics, such as basic health and safety, risk assessment training and the control of hazardous substances.