SustainabilitySustainability is about balancing our social and economic needs, with the need to protect our environment and its resources. It involves meeting the demands of today's population, without compromising the quality of life of future generations.
Sustainable Development Action PlanAs a council, we must address the priority action areas identified by the Northern Ireland Sustainable Development Strategy.
To help us do this, we've put together a three-year plan which outlines how the council will manage its resources more efficiently, while continuing to minimise our impact on the environment.
Our Sustainable Development Action Plan identifies key actions we must take to help us meet our legal obligations for sustainable development.
It is the second time we have put together a sustainability plan and it builds upon our existing work and successes in this area.
- Download Sustainable Development Action Plan (PDF - 2.86MB)
- environmental purchasing policies
- energy and carbon management in our buildings
- waste management
- sustainable transport for our staff and fleet vehicles
- protection of natural resources and environmental enhancement
- communicating what sustainable development means.
How you can helpYou can help achieve sustainable development in Belfast by making simple changes to your lifestyle. For example:
- reduce the amount of waste you create and reuse and recycle materials wherever possible
- choose sustainable forms of transport, for example, by walking, cycling or using public transport
- save energy at home - this helps cut greenhouse gas emissions and reduces the impact of climate change
- help protect your local environment by contributing to the actions outlined in our Local Biodiversity Action Plan