Titanic BelfastIn the heart of the former shipyard, you will see a stunning piece of architecture come to life.
Titanic Belfast is Belfast's new £97 million visitor attraction and will be a 'must see' visit in any tour of Belfast and Northern Ireland.
The Titanic Belfast opened on Saturday 31 March 2012, to, mark the centenary of Titanic's maiden voyage, placing Belfast firmly at the heart of global celebrations. You can now book tickets online from the Titanic Belfast website.
We contributed £10m towards this unique venue, which is situated on the site of the former shipyards at Queen's Island. Our investment in this project shows our commitment to enhancing Belfast's tourism offering. The new building also provides a high profile cultural and educational facility for the people of Northern Ireland as well as acting as a catalyst for other redevelopment.
Photos © Titanic Quarter Ltd. Photographer: Donal McCann.
© Northern Ireland Tourist Board (third photo).
Inside the buildingThe new iconic building delivers one of the most authentic Titanic experiences in the world, from her birth in Belfast to her discovery on the seabed. It gives visitors a proper insight into the sights, sounds and smells of the shipyard. The main features in the new building include:
- the Titanic Experience exhibition - nine linked interpretative galleries
- a Titanic-themed banqueting suite with a 750 seat capacity
- a community arts facility for local exhibitions, performance and conferences
- a gallery and temporary exhibition space
- a family restaurant, café and shop.
Photo gallery of building work in progress
Visitor numbersThe target markets are the local population, the regional and national population, and domestic and overseas tourists.
In addition to the exhibition, the building will also attract substantial numbers of people to its conference and banqueting suite, community and education facilities, restaurants and the Ocean Exploration Centre.
Supporting the local economyThe design and build contracts for Titanic Belfast were worth approximately £73 million.
Of the 31 main sub-contracts, over 75% of them went to local companies in Northern Ireland. Of the other 25%, over half of them sourced significant amounts of their material and labour from within Northern Ireland. The remainder are specialist sub-contracts which require skills from outside of Northern Ireland.
There were, on average, around 160 people on site on any given day. Over 700 different individuals worked on the site since the start of the project. 96% of the workforce was based in Northern Ireland.
These numbers do not take into account the ancillary jobs created or kept through the supply chain for materials, manufacturing and transportation items.
Other developmentsTitanic Belfast will be supported by a number of other developments:
- Public art, plaza and memorial - features around Titanic Belfast that will add considerably to the visitor experience. These include a plaza around the iconic building, a memorial to the people who built and sailed on the Titanic, other public sculptures on the plaza and the slipways.
- Supporting facilities - cafés, shops, hotels and bars will help to attract visitors to the area
- Related developments and features
- Development of visitor facilities and interpretation at Thompson Dock
- Restoration of the former Harland and Wolff Headquarters and Drawing Offices, Hamilton Dock and Abercorn Basin.
- Various sites on Queen's Island will be linked to the Titanic Signature Building, and it is envisaged that they will contain a number of additional attractions including a collection of historic boats. The SS Nomadic and HMS Caroline are the first parts of the historic boat collection.
- Links to the rest of Belfast - Titanic Trails have been developed. For more information visit www.belfastcity.gov.uk/tourismguides
General enquiries and bookingsClaire Bradshaw
Head of Sales and Marketing
6 Queen's Road
Telephone: +44 (0)28 9076 6399
Mobile: +44 (0) 777 551 0507