Belfast City Council is currently developing options for a significant 5-year cultural initiative, Belfast 2023, building on the momentum of the work undertaken as part of the European Capital of Culture bid.
This work will include:
- Exploration of long-term cultural development and investment approaches.
- Options for collaboration with other international cities, including those other UK cities that had been bidding for the UK Capital of Culture 2023 designation.
- The feasibility of a year-long cultural programme of scale for delivery in 2023.
- On-going civic engagement through neighbourhood projects to increase participation and explore the crowd-sourced concept of (Y)Our Home.
- Co-design of a city bid for the designation of UNESCO City of MUSIC.
During the stage one bid, over 15,000 citizens told us that ‘home’ is where the heart is. Initial conversations also indicated that ‘home’ can be a dynamic and complex concept, more related to how people feel than a physical place. Building on this initial engagement, we would like to keep this conversation going and explore what it means to feel ‘at home’ in Belfast in the twenty-first century.
Expressions of interest to receive further information, including invitations to quote for pilot engagement projects on the theme of (Y)Our Home, closed at 12 noon on Friday 29 June 2018.