Creative Communities community arts programme
Creative Communities is a cross-community project that aims to bring people together through arts and heritage. It will see eight artists or historians-in-residence appointed to work with communities in eight areas of the city.
The project is part of Belfast’s PEACE IV Action Plan, financed through the European Union and managed by the Special EU Programmes Body (SEUPB).
- Lower Ormeau Road, Sandy Row, Donegall Pass and the Markets area
- Broadway and the Village area
- Colin and Dunmurry area
- Lower Shankill and Divis (from Townsend Street to Northumberland Street)
- Clonard and mid-Shankill (from North Howard Street to Lanark Way)
- Woodvale, Ardoyne and Marrowbone area
- Carlisle Circus
- Short Strand and Inner East area
About the project
A steering group will be set up in each of the eight areas to write the brief for their artist or historian with a view to appointing someone by December 2019.
Each artist or historian-in-residence will then work with local people and run regular workshops to make a piece of art or develop a heritage product. It could be a show, a book, a film, a tour, or something we haven’t thought of yet! We want local people to decide what they want in their area.
All eight projects will finish by autumn 2021 with a showcase event.
Creative Communities aims to:
- help people feel part of their community
- help people deal positively with diversity and difference
- make people more tolerant of people from different communities, and
- increase respect for other cultures.
If you would like to be kept informed about the projects as they develop, you can sign up for our enewsletter.
You can also call us on 9027 0569 or email email@example.com