City Dressing Project
City Dressing helps to welcome people to a location, celebrate a particular event or initiative, or as a rolling programme of campaigns.
Many cities throughout the world use media such as banners to enhance the environment, bringing movement and colour to urban spaces.
Belfast is a city with a unique pattern: patterns of work and living, patterns of laughter and enjoyment, patterns of history and modernity; patterns that shape our everyday routine and make this city so unique.
The aim of this City Dressing project, Patterns of the City, is to celebrate that uniqueness, to look at and appreciate everyday objects and nature that surround us; to dress the streets with boldness and energy.
Some of our banners include:
- Belfast city banners
Over 300 images, taken by local community groups, provided the selection from which the final 12 banner patterns where chosen. The inspiration and story behind each design can be found at
- Christmas banners
Our City Matters magazine asked residents to get involved in our city dressing campaign by entering a competition that would inspire a Christmas collection of patterns.
- Gaeltacht Quarter banners
- Titanic Quarter banners
The aims of the project
The aims of the banners are to:
- offer a warm Belfast welcome to our visitors
- enhance local people's knowledge and understanding of the city's cultural heritage and future
- create interest across different parts of the city
- instil pride in our citizens and communities
- create an atmosphere of jubilation and special occasion across the city
- create interest about different parts of the city
- instil pride in our citizens and communities.
This project has been developed in partnership with:
- Visit Belfast
- Belfast City Centre Management
- Department for Regional Development Roads Service
- Department for Social Development.
For more information on the inspiration behind some of the patterns, as well as what to do and see in the many locations profiled, visit www.visitbelfast.com/patterns
To book any of the banner sites to promote events and initiatives, please contact:
Belfast City Centre Management
Telephone: 028 9024 2111