Waste management accreditationsAny business or individual who provides a service to us must comply with our Environmental Purchasing Policy. If you are a contractor and you want to provide a service at any of our waste management sites, you must also meet the relevant legal requirements that apply to the council.
Many of these are part of Environmental Management Systems (EMS), such as the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) 14001.
To date, we've achieved the following environmental and occupational health and safety accreditations:
- ISO 14001 - environmental management
- ISO 18001- occupational health and safety
- ISO 9001 - quality standard (for the Waste Transfer Station at Dargan Road)
Requirements for contractorsWe work with the Northern Ireland Environment Agency to make sure all our contractors meet their legal duties, understand health, safety and environmental requirements and comply with best practice standards.
As a contractor, as well as complying with our Environmental Purchasing Policy and meeting our accreditation criteria, you must agree to:
- carry out regular risk assessments (PDF - 81KB)
- set up documented procedures for safe working
- meet our safety procedures
- comply with site rules, given as part of an induction for contractors working on a site
- work proactively with our staff by reporting and discussing any problems you encounter.
We held our annual Contractors Briefing Day on 27 June 2011 at Malone House, Belfast.
The briefing was attended by both our external and internal service providers, and the presentations centred on our commitment to ISO 14001 (Environmental Management) and ISO OHSAS 18001 (Health and Safety).
Our representatives delivered presentations which you can download:
- Emma Eaton, Health, Corporate Health and Safety Manager - download Health and Safety presentation (Powerpoint 0.2MB)
- Jennifer Stephens, Policy and Research - download ISO Quality Standards presentation (Powerpoint 3.7MB)
- Ricky Burnett, Policy and Operations Director - download Policy and Operations presentation (Powerpoint 6.5MB)
- Glenn Montgomery, Audit, Governance and Risk Services - download Audit and Hospitality Issues (Powerpoint 2.1MB)
Risk assessmentsOur health and safety inspectors carry out regular risk assessments of all our waste management sites.
They are also regularly audited by SGS Ltd, a respected certification body, as well as our own internal auditors.
Non-complianceAs a contractor working on our waste management sites, if you fail to meet our health and safety requirements, we'll issue you with a non-conformity notice.
This gives you the chance to amend your processes but, if you continue to fall short of our requirements, your contract could be terminated early.
More informationFor more information, contact:
Telephone: 0800 0328 100