Stars Belfast bound for trad music extravaganza, Gradam Ceoil
19 Jan 2018
As the countdown begins for the biggest night of the year for traditional Irish music, stars from the stage and screen are getting set to descend on Belfast.
Big names including actor, Stephen Rea and Matt Molloy from The Chieftains have been announced as part of the line-up for TG4’s traditional Irish Music Awards, Gradam Ceoil, which take place at the Belfast Waterfront on Sunday, 4 February, 2018.
As awards season hots up, Gradam Ceoil gives local music fans a chance to experience the thrill and excitement of a live televised awards show complete with spine-tingling live performances, right here in Belfast.
This is the first time in its 21-year history that the prestigious Gradam Ceoil concert will take place in Ulster. Known as ‘the Oscars of traditional music,’ and revered by trad fans across Ireland and beyond, the live concert and awards ceremony takes place at the Belfast Waterfront on Sunday, 4 February 2018 and will be broadcast live on TG4 at 9.30pm.
Featuring the crème de la crème of Irish music and song, Gradam Ceoil celebrates the talent and achievements of musicians from Ireland and across the world. The recipients, who represent world-class traditional music talent, will take to the stage to perform unforgettable pieces, alongside a top bill of well-known faces for what will be an absolutely unforgettable show.
A total of seven awards will be given out on the night, with live performances from:
• Musician of the Year: Frankie Gavin with guests Alec Finn, Colm Murphy and Máirtín O'Connor, original members of De Dannan.
• Young Musician of the Year: Clare Friel with sisters. Presented by Mairéad Ní Mhaonaigh, Altan.
• Lifetime Achievement Award: Patsy Hanly, presented by and featuring a guest performance with Matt Molloy, The Chieftains.
• Singer of the Year: Máire Ní Chéileachair, presented by Nell Ní Chróinín and Conchubhar Ó Luasa.
• Special Contribution Award: Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin, presented by Stephen Rea. Pádraigín will perform with guests, The Voice Squad.
• Musical Collaboration: CONCERT created by Colin Dunne with Sinéad Rushe and Mel Mercier.
• Special Award: The Field Marshal Montgomery Pipe Band.
Tickets for TG4’s Gradam Ceoil Awards 2018 are available from www.waterfront.co.uk
or by phone on 028 9033 4455, priced £25 (£22 for concessions).
To find out more, visit www.gradam.ie
or connect with Gradam Ceoil on Facebook, facebook.com/gradamceoil
or Twitter, @GradamCeoil or search the #Gradam hashtag.