Cloth Nappy Scheme
Last updated: Monday 20 April 2020
As we respond to coronavirus (COVID-19), cloth nappy trials may take longer to arrange and there will be a significant delay on refund payments.
About the cloth nappy scheme
Disposable nappies cannot be recycled. They must go in the general waste bin, so if you have a small baby in your household, nappies will make up a significant proportion of rubbish.
By swapping to cloth nappies, parents can dramatically reduce the amount of waste they put in general waste bins and send to landfill.
We are now offering parents in Belfast the opportunity to try washable nappies for free for two weeks, as well as offering a £30 refund on the cost of buying reusable nappies.
This scheme is subject to availability and may be withdrawn at any time.
Free two week trial
We are working with ‘The Library Group’ to offer parents a free two week trial.
They will provide you with all you need to give washable nappies a go. This will help you decide if they are right for you.
A representative from the Library will contact you to discuss your requirements, explain how the trial works and arrange a date and time for the nappy pack to be delivered to your home and collected after the trial period ends.
Please download, complete and return the application form.
If you decide to use reusable nappies, you can apply for a £30 refund. You must spend £50 or more on washable nappies, excluding accessories. Parents can buy them from any retailer of their choice, including those online.
In order to claim your refund, you will need to complete the application form and return along with the original receipt(s).
Terms and conditions
- The Child must be a permanent resident within the Belfast City Council boundary.
- The nappy trial period lasts two weeks and nappies must be returned at the end of the trial.
- If taking part in the trial, a representative from ‘The Library Group’ will contact you to arrange your trial.
- Applicants must spend at least £50 on washable nappies (not including accessories) to be eligible for cash back.
- Cash back cannot be paid without the original, itemised receipts(s) which include date of purchase
- The nappies must have been bought within 6 months of making the refund application.
- Participation in the nappy trial and refund scheme is considered to be a ‘one off’ and does not constitute any commitment to future support.
- Nappy trials and refunds will be arranged on a first come, first served basis.
- Only one nappy trial and one refund application per household.
- Belfast City Council may ask you to provide feedback or complete a follow up questionnaire.
- The schemes are subject to availability and may be withdrawn at any time.