Student accommodation SPG consultation
We want to support Belfast’s universities and colleges as they try to grow their student numbers, particularly within the international student market.
We would like your views on a new draft Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) document for Purpose Built Managed Student Accommodation (PBMSA) in Belfast. We have developed this to give extra advice and guidance to developers, the public and planning officers when working on planning applications for PBMSA developments.
The guidance is structured in to six planning issues, including:
- Location: The development should be at a location which is easily accessible to university or college campuses by sustainable transport modes.
- Quality design: The layout, design and facilities provided within a development should be of high standards.
- Scale and impact: The development should be designed in a way that does not conflict with adjacent properties or the general amenity of the surrounding area.
- Management: The development has appropriate management in place to create a positive and safe living environment for students while minimising any potential negative impacts from occupants.
- Need: There is a need for the type of accommodation proposed.
- Planning agreements: Planning agreements, and related developer contributions, may be required for purpose built managed student accommodation where conditions alone cannot secure planning.
This consultation has now closed. We published the draft Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG) for consultation from 7 March – 31 May 2016. We are currently analysing the feedback received and are considering whether changes to the draft document are required. A report providing a summary of the consultation responses and any changes made as a result will be produced and published alongside the final SPG. We intend to adopt the final document in the summer, subject to approval by the full council.