A new park in Colin
Work is underway on a new destination public park in the Colin area. It will provide a high quality, safe space for locals and visitors when it opens in 2021.
The park is located on the Stewartstown Road opposite the Colin Connect Transport Hub and Colin Town Square.
We’re delivering the £4.75 million project on behalf of the Urban Villages Initiative, a headline action within the NI Executive’s Together Building a United Community Strategy.
The Urban Villages Initiative is shaped and delivered in partnership with local communities. It is designed to improve good relations outcomes and develop thriving places.
Designs for the park were finalised following a public consultation which took place in March and April 2017. The main features of the park are described below.
- Main entrance - the Leap of Faith sculpture will be reinstated at the main park entrance on Stewartstown Road. The sculpture depicts a group of 22 local children taking the leap of faith that all young people must take as they mature and enter adulthood.
- The entrance will also have full disability access.
Play and imagination zone – this zone will feature a playground with a range of accessible and sensory equipment, enabling children of all abilities to play safely together.
- Community and leisure zone – this will be a large grass area where events such as summer festivals, concerts, community fun days, markets and fairs can take place.
- Activity and interaction zone – this zone will include a space for outdoor fitness, a cycle pump track, as well as marked routes for walking, running and cycling.
- Learning and exploration zone – this area has been designed for visitors, local groups and schools to use as an outdoor classroom area.
Following a pause in construction, work has resumed on site. In line with industry health and safety guidance, additional hygiene and social distancing measures are in place to keep workers and the public safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The pathway connecting Laurelbank to Stewartstown Road will be closed from 25 May for approximately two months to allow work to take place in this part of the park.
A new temporary path from Laurelgrove to Stewartstown Road will be constructed in the weeks ahead. In the meantime, people wishing to access Stewartstown Road from Laurelgrove will be diverted along Pantridge Road.
If you have any queries, please call the contractor on 028 8774 6235 or email email@example.com. You can also contact our project management team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.