Páirc Nua Chollann
Work is underway on a new destination public park in the Colin area. It will provide a high quality, safe space for locals and visitors when it opens later this year.
The park is located on the Stewartstown Road opposite the Colin Connect Transport Hub and Colin Town Square. Following a public consultation exercise, the name of the park will be Páirc Nua Chollann.
We’re delivering the £5.5 million project on behalf of the Urban Villages Initiative, a headline action within the NI Executive’s Together Building a United Community Strategy. Additional funding has been provided by Department for Communities.
The Urban Villages Initiative is shaped and delivered in partnership with local communities. It is designed to improve good relations outcomes and develop thriving places.
Designs for the park were finalised following a public consultation. The main features of the park are described below.
- Main entrance - the Leap of Faith sculpture has been reinstated at the main park entrance on Stewartstown Road. The sculpture depicts a group of 22 local children taking the leap of faith that all young people must take as they mature and enter adulthood.
- The entrance will also have full disability access.
- Play and imagination zone – this zone will feature a playground with a range of accessible and sensory equipment, enabling children of all abilities to play safely together.
- Community and event space – this will be a large grass area where events such as summer festivals, concerts, community fun days, markets and fairs can take place.
- Activity zone – this zone will include a space for outdoor fitness, a cycle pump track, as well as marked routes for walking, running and cycling.
- Educational area – this area has been designed for visitors, local groups and schools to use as an outdoor classroom area.
Work continues on the transformation of the park. Once confirmed, we will let people know its opening date via our social media channels and on this web page.
In line with industry health and safety guidance, additional hygiene and social distancing measures are in place to keep workers and the public safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.
If you have any queries, please call the contractor on 028 8774 6235 or email email@example.com. You can also contact our project management team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.