Human trafficking is happening everywhere, including Belfast. It can affect anyone, of any age, gender or nationality, and if you know the signs, it will be easier to report.
The signs of human trafficking
- Working against their will?
- Having their movements controlled?
- Subject to violence or threats?
- Distrustful of authorities?
- Unable to communicate freely with others?
- Unsure of where they are?
- Not integrated with the local community?
Do they appear to:
- Have little or no time off?
- Live in overcrowded accommodation?
- Have bruises or unexplained injuries?
- Be subject to security at their accommodation or work premises?
- Be poorly integrated into the community?
- Work excessive hours?
- Be in a situation of dependence?
How to report it
If you are suspicious that human trafficking is going on, you can report it to:
- Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111
- PSNI: 999
- Migrant helpline: 077 6666 8781