Disability strategy and action plans
Our Disability Action Plan is a detailed vision on how we plan to promote positive attitudes towards disabled people, and encourage their participation in public life in relation to our functions from April 2019 to March 2022. These duties reaffirm our commitment to the Disability Discrimination Act 1995.
We are required to submit to the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland a Disability Action Plan, showing how we propose to fulfil these duties. These plans are monitored annually and a report is submitted to the Equality Commission.
Since 2019, we have:
- Ensured the disability duties have been complied with and the disability action plan has been effectively implemented.
- Achieved effective communication and provision of necessary training and guidance for staff.
- Confirmed our commitment to submitting an annual report for 2019-20 to the Equality Commission on the implementation of the plan.
By 2020, we will:
- Allocate all necessary resources in order to build objectives and targets relating to the disability duties into corporate and annual operating plans.
- Confirm our commitment to submitting an annual report to the Equality Commission on the implementation of the plan, as well as carrying out a five yearly review of the plan.
- Commit to consulting with disabled people when implementing and reviewing the council’s disability plans.
- Undertake a planned programme of communication and training on the disability duties for all staff and councillors.
Access to information
As part of our commitment to promoting equality of opportunity and good relations, we want to ensure that everyone is able to access the documents we produce. The Disability Action Plan is available in the following alternative formats:
- large print
- audio cassette
- computer disk
- easy read
- sign language format
- plain language.
To request the full document, contact the Equality and Diversity Unit by emailing email@example.com, visit www.belfastcity.gov.uk/contact for SignVideo or call us on 028 9032 0202.