Gradam Ceoil Bursary Scheme update
Applications closed at 4pm on Friday 11 March 2022.
Background to Gradam Ceoil in Belfast
For five years, Belfast hosted the TG4 Gradam Ceoil awards ceremony and concert. During this time, we worked with the organisers to produce Gradam fringe events in Belfast which were well-received and demonstrated people’s interest in Irish traditional music.
Three bursary awards
The scheme will award three bursary packages. Each winner will receive:
- £3,000 in cash
- industry insights, mentoring and support on how to showcase your music online. You will work with Red Shoe Media and The Duncairn Centre for Arts to produce a professional, broadcast quality video
- two tickets to TG4 Gradam Ceoil 2022 Awards ceremony and concert in Dublin. TG4 will provide your accommodation and transport
The bursary scheme is designed to support and mentor young musicians or singers to produce a professional audio-visual piece suitable for broadcast on various platforms, including TG4’s online and digital media. All applicants must be willing to engage in this part of the scheme.
Gradam Ceoil Bursary awards
The Gradam Ceoil Bursary Scheme is our new awards scheme to support and mentor young people who are already immersed in Irish traditional music. In 2022, the scheme was open to traditional musicians and singers aged between 16 and 25 years old.
Eligibility for the bursary scheme
To be eligible to apply, you must be:
- aged between 18 and 25 years old
- actively involved in traditional Irish music as a musician or singer or both
- living in Belfast, come from Belfast or have a strong connection to Belfast
- willing to engage with Red Shoe Media and The Duncairn Centre to produce an audio video performance
Your application must link to one sample of you playing an instrument or singing.
Samples of your instrumental or vocal performances
You can send up to three samples. These performances should not be longer than eight minutes in total. You can send links to your performances on YouTube or SoundCloud. You should include your solo performances, unaccompanied or accompanied.
If you play with a band, you should provide one sample that features you playing or singing.
Applying to the Gradam Ceoil Bursary Scheme
Applications are closed for 2022.
To read information about the awards, go to TG4 Gradam Ceoil Bursary Scheme (link opens in new window).