The Parks Photographic Competition for 2020 is open to entries from amateur photographers. The annual competition is sponsored by John McQuillan (Contracts) Ltd and supported by Jessops. Enter the competition and you could win a share of £1,000. The closing date for the competition is Friday 6 November 2020 before 4pm.
Parks and open spaces in Belfast
To enter the competition, you can only use photographs taken in one of our parks or open spaces since 1 January 2020. Select one of the four award categories and upload your entry online.
There are four award categories.
- People in our parks: such as people walking, jogging, cycling, attending events or using outdoor gyms, playgrounds, allotments and bowling greens
- Park landscapes: for example landscape shots, animals, trees, plants, buildings and horticultural displays in a recognisable park setting
- Best black and white image: best captures of our parks in black and white
- Under 16s: Each category is also open to persons aged 16 years or under
Terms and conditions of competition
To be eligible, your photos must have been taken after 1 January 2020, in area of the park that’s open to the public and is a recognisable park setting. The competition is open to everyone, except professional photographers. We cannot accept photographs that won prizes in other external competitions, or photographs that were entered into a previous Belfast Parks photographic competition.
- No competitor, including under 16s, may enter more than one category.
- Entrants can submit up to four photos in their chosen category.
- Entrants must be the sole author and owner of copyright for all photos entered.
- Images must have been taken in one of Belfast City Council Parks & Open Spaces.
- Belfast City Council retains the right to free reproduction and exhibition of all entries. By sending a photograph to us you grant permission for the council to publish the photograph, or any part of it, for an indefinite period, in any media it chooses including the council website and social media accounts. No commercial payment will be made by the council for the use of your photographs.
- Entries must be accompanied by an official entry form. If you are entering online, you must include your name, category, age (under 16s only) and the name of the park where the photo was taken, along with your entry.
- Before taking an image and submitting an entry, photographers must seek permission from anyone who is recognisable in any photograph or secure the permission of parents or guardians for the photographs of minors or vulnerable adults.
- Entrants’ images may be digitally edited to remove spots or scratches. However, the image should not have content added or removed digitally. Judges reserve the right to exclude any image that they believe has been excessively treated to alter its authenticity.
- All entries are sent at the photographer’s own risk and Belfast City Council is not responsible for damage or loss sustained in delivery (either electronic or hard copy) of entries.
- No more than one prize will be awarded to any entrant.
- A panel of judges will choose the winning photos. The decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No employee of Belfast City Council or John McQuillan (Contracts) Ltd may enter the competition.
- By entering, entrants will be deemed to have agreed to be bound by these rules.
If you want more information, please call 028 9091 8768 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Competition closing date
The closing date is Friday 6 November 2020 before 4pm.
Winners and prizes for 2019
The winners of Belfast Parks Photographic Competition 2019 were:
Seasons in our parks
First Simon Braid. Ormeau Park
Second Jonathan Clark, Victoria Park
Third Michael McCafferty, Falls Park
People in our parks
First Stephen Ferguson, Ormeau Park
Second Damien Braniff, Lagan Valley Regional Park
Third Emma Carmichael, Glenbank Park
First Noel Hughes, Cave Hill Country Park
Second Marie Toman, Falls Park
Third K Mitch Hodge, Lagan Meadows
1st Samyak Ambrale – Ormeau Park
2nd Shannon O’Brien – Barnett Demesne
£100 Bonus Prize
Stephen Johnston – Botanic Gardens
You can see some entries to the Parks Photographic Competition in 2019.
• Parks Photographic Competition showcase
To see winners in earlier competitions, go to:
- Parks Photographic Competition 2018
- •Parks Photographic Competition 2017
- •Parks Photographic Competition 2016
- •Parks Photographic Competition 2015
- •Parks Photographic Competition 2014
- •Parks Photographic Competition 2013
- •Parks Photographic Competition 2012