Belfast Litter Pledge
We are calling on businesses to show their support and commitment to helping us keep the streets of Belfast clean. The Belfast Litter Pledge shows your customers, staff and colleagues that you care about our city and keeping it an attractive place to live, work and visit.
How litter can affect your business or premises
As a business, it is your responsibility to keep the land around your premises litter-free.
- project a negative image of your business and may be a deterrent to your customers
- damage the image of our city which could impact on investment and tourism
- lead to a legal notice, fine, or prosecution
Your business can show you care about our city by signing the Belfast Business Litter Pledge. We will provide you with a free litter kit which includes a litter pick, gloves, dustpan and brush, pocket ashtrays, a certificate and window sticker.
By signing the pledge your business will commit to:
- maintain a litter-free environment around your premises
- ensuring that your waste is presented correctly for collection and doesn’t negatively impact on our city
- encourage your staff not to litter and to advise them about the Litter Pledge
- reduce the amount of waste generated by your business and to dispose of it correctly
- report fly-tipping to the council
Sign Belfast Litter pledge online (link opens in new window)
Or call 028 9032 0202 ext 5239.
Belfast, help keep your city clean and tidy
Our latest advertising campaign objective is to encourage residents of and visitors to Belfast to help keep our city clean and tidy and to take pride in its appearance. You will see our new advertising campaign at bus stops, on buses, billboards, online and you will hear it on the radio.
We have litter wardens and enforcement officers operating in Belfast, and the last thing people want is to be fined £80 so we are encouraging and reminding people to put their litter in the bin.
Have you met our anti-litter gang?
We have a whole gang of anti-litter buddies. If you see our friendly Litter Pig, Steve the Sweeper or Scoop Dog out and about, having fun spreading the anti-litter message, you can get involved too.
You may also see our Singing Street Sweepers in the city centre or at events throughout the year.
Why not get your photo taken with them and help spread the anti-litter message by sharing the pictures with your friends?
You can also email us your pictures.
Other useful contacts
- To contact Cleansing Services Customer Contact Centre, call 028 9027 0230.
- You can report litter or a street cleaning issue
- For waste management and recycling enquiries visit bins and recycling or call 0800 032 8100.
- For commercial waste enquiries call 028 9027 0735.
- For drug related litter enquiries call our Community Safety Unit on 028 9027 0469 or email email@example.com.
- For night time and out of hours, call the Belfast City Council Departmental Emergency Phone on 07850 499 622.