Council of Sanctuary
In April 2022, we pledged our support for the City of Sanctuary (link opens in new window) movement and passed a notice of motion to become a Council of Sanctuary.
The motion stated:
Council of Sanctuary is a place that provides a welcome and safe place for asylum seekers, refugees and migrants and supports the conditions that will allow people from these backgrounds to feel safe, valued and included.
We are committed to receiving and including all new residents with care and dignity. Under our Council of Sanctuary designation, we resolve to:
- Join a network of cities and towns which promote the inclusion and welfare of people who are fleeing violence and persecution in their own countries.
- Continue to understand the lived experience of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants living in Belfast through initiatives including our DiverseCity events programme.
- Continue to work with organisations in the city who support refugees, asylum seekers and migrants including the Belfast Ukrainian Assistance Centre (link opens in new window)
- Challenge anti-refugee and anti-migrant attitudes wherever they are found.
- Ensure equality in the provision of our services and facilities and that public spaces can be accessed and enjoyed by everyone.
- Develop an internal Race Equality and Diversity Action Plan - that will review how we deliver our services and take action as an employer to create a diverse workforce.
Read more about City of Sanctuary (link opens in new window)