Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park is in south Belfast. It is home to the City of Belfast International Rose Garden, which attracts thousands of visitors to our Rose Week celebrations in July each year. The park also has a children's playground, a bottle bank, barbecue area, picnic tables and car park,
History of the park
Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park was donated to the people of Belfast by Lady Dixon in 1959, in memory of her late husband, Sir Thomas.
Originally formed in the mid-18th century, as part of the Wilmont estate, the park was first owned by the Stewarts; a farming family from Scotland. The estate was used for growing crops and bleaching linen and the main family house stood on the site of what is now the park's lower car park.
In the mid-1800s, the Bristow family bought the estate. A family home, Wilmont House, was designed by Thomas Jackson for the Bristows and was completed in 1859.
The estate, which also included a walled garden, informal planting areas and gate lodges, attracted a number of different owners before it was taken over by the Dixons in 1919.
During World War II, American troops were stationed in the grounds of the estate while their officers lived in Wilmont House. Lady Dixon was well-known for her work with the troops and was created Dame of the British Empire as a result. Before she died in 1959, she donated the estate to the city of Belfast in memory of her late husband, a former High Sheriff of Belfast.
The site was re-opened as Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park in 1959.
Other attractions in Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon park
Covering more than 128 acres, the park has rolling meadows, copses, woodland and gardens. There are various plants and wildlife. An ideal base for exploring nearby Lagan Valley Regional Park, it contains international camellia trials, a walled garden, a Japanese-style garden with water features for quiet contemplation.
Getting to the park
Enter the park at Upper Malone Road. For The Stables coffee shop, use the lower entrance (towards Drumbeg). Take Ulsterbus no. 21 to Drumbeg from the Europa Bus Station in Belfast city centre (Mondays to Fridays only) or use Metro no. 8 A-C.
Green Flag awards
Sir Thomas and Lady Dixon Park has been awarded a Green Flag every year from 2012 to 2019. This award recognises the best open spaces in the UK.
Take a walk through our three trails which come alive in the spring time.
|Woodland trail||1.93 miles||moderate|
|Meadow trail||1.78 miles||moderate|
|Meadow trail||1.1 miles||easy|
The Stables Coffee shop
The coffee shop offers tea, coffee and a selection of freshly baked or cooked hot and cold foods. It is open from 10am to 4pm, Monday to Sunday, and is also available for private events. For bookings, call 028 9061 0765.
To find out about events and activities in Belfast parks, go to Park events.
Park opening hoursParks open at 7.30am every day. Closing times change as daylight shortens.
|30 September – 13 October 2020||7pm|
|14 – 20 October 2020||6.30pm|
|21 – 27 October 2020||5.30pm|
|28 October – 10 November 2020||5pm|
|11 November – 31 December 2020||4.30pm|