About our asbestos collection service
We can collect and dispose of small amounts of household cement based asbestos, weighing up to 120kg, produced by carrying out home improvements.
This service is only available to households within the Belfast City Council electoral area.
We can't collect asbestos that has been removed by a contractor working on your home.
What is cement based asbestos?
Cement based asbestos is a bonded material commonly used for roofing outbuildings such as garages and for guttering, central heating flues and soil pipes.
Cement based asbestos can be confused with asbestos insulation board which is similar in appearance, but is much more hazardous as it is softer. These types of asbestos need specialist removal, handling and disposal.
For more information or guidance about domestic asbestos in your home, please visit the HSENI website (link opens in new window). You can call HSENI on 02890 243349 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book an asbestos collection
Before you book, please read the terms and conditions for online services and our privacy statement.
We'll call you when we've organised a collection and ask you to confirm where the asbestos will be left.
We may have to visit your home to decide how best to dispose of the asbestos material.
We can only make one collection per household in each 12 month period.
If collection is approved, we'll:
- send you a maximum of two sets of asbestos collection bags
- appoint a contractor to collect the bags
Once you receive your collection bags, you should remove the material following our guidelines.
Guidelines for removal of asbestos
You must follow these steps when removing cement based asbestos. Asbestos is a hazardous material, and you remove it at your own risk.
You should take care when handling asbestos. Never bring it to any of our civic amenity sites or recycling centres.
Always check with us or the Health and Safety Executive Northern Ireland (link opens in new window) to see if asbestos can be safely removed before it is collected.
If it can, you should:
- wear protective overalls and dispose of them afterwards in the bags provided
- wear an asbestos-proof dust mask
- keep other people and animals out of the area
- don't break up asbestos - breaking it releases the dangerous fibres into the air
- dampen the area with water
- sweep up the dust with a damp cloth, and seal it in the bags provided
- don't use a vacuum to remove asbestos dust
- the asbestos waste must be double bagged or double wrapped. It should be sealed in the large heavy duty plastic bags provided by us or heavy duty plastic sheeting material which can be purchased from your local builders’ merchants or hardware shop.
- we will provide you with a clear and a red heavy duty plastic bag to wrap your material in, and instructions on how to handle the asbestos.
- first, you should fill the red bag and securely seal it with tape. Next, place the red bag and its contents into the clear plastic bag and securely seal the clear bag.
- do not overfill the bags (maximum of 25kg per bag) and ensure that no sharp edges can tear the bags.
- if the item or material is too large for the bags you must double wrap it in plastic sheeting.
- any disposable face masks, gloves or overalls used to break down the material should also be placed in the bags supplied.
- once you remove and bag up the asbestos, leave it at the agreed collection point. During COVID-19 (coronavirus) you should spray your bags with sanitiser and leave them for at least 72 hours before collection, preferably outside.
- if you have more asbestos than we can collect, call the Northern Ireland Environment Agency (link opens in new window) on 028 9056 9710 for a list of companies registered to dispose of asbestos.
- once the material has been bagged or wrapped in line with these instructions, please contact the Fleet and Resources Service to arrange your collection date on 0800 0328100 or email email@example.com
Material which is not properly bagged or wrapped will not be collected. You may have to wait for a further four weeks for the next collection so it is important to follow the instructions when bagging your material.
We will remove up to a maximum of 120kg of asbestos from a domestic property per collection, free of charge. Each domestic property will be restricted to one collection in any 12 month period.