Dog fouling in public places
Dog fouling is one of the most controversial issues we deal with. We are using the Green Dog Walkers scheme as an innovative approach to dog fouling. The scheme is a community-based campaign to change attitudes to dog fouling. Becoming a Green Dog Walker involves agreeing a pledge and accepting a Green Dog Walker lead.
Responsible dog walking
Dog owners and dog walkers support the scheme by signing a pledge to clean up after their dogs. They support other dog walkers by carrying extra dog bags to give them if needed. In return, they’ll receive a Green Dog Walker's lead and an introductory supply of dog waste bags.
Green Dog Walkers' pledge
I hereby volunteer to accept a Green Dog Walker's lead and pledge to take part in the campaign as follows:
- I will use the lead as often as possible when walking my dog.
- I will at all times clean up after my dog and dispose of the bag in a bin.
- When other people walk my dog, I will encourage them to clean up after my dog.
- I understand that using the lead indicates that I will carry extra dog bags to distribute to other dog walkers if requested.
- At no time will I aggressively confront other dog walkers about dog fouling. I fully understand that Green Dog Walkers is intended to be a non-confrontational and friendly campaign to change attitudes to dog fouling.
- I agree that Green Dog Walkers may contact me to take part in questionnaires or surveys regarding my Green Dog Walker's experience, to help judge the success of the project.
- I understand that my dog must be licensed to sign up to the Green Dog Walkers campaign.
Green Dog Walker's lead
By taking the Green Dog Walkers' pledge and using a Green Dog Walker's lead, owners commit to:
- always clean up after their dog
- carry extra dog waste bags
- give free dog waste bags to other dog walkers
How to become a Green Dog Walker in Belfast
Are you interested in taking the Green Dog Walkers' pledge and signing up to this campaign?
Register for the pledge
You must have a current dog licence to sign up and and we will check our database to make sure you have a licence.
We will contact you about getting a Green Dog Walker's lead and an introductory supply of dog waste bags.