As part of our £105 million Leisure Transformation Programme we’re investing £8 million in the redevelopment of Avoniel Leisure Centre. Construction is due to be completed by autumn 2021.
This investment is part of a £45 million investment into leisure provision in east Belfast. We have received £5 million funding from the National Lottery's Heritage Fund towards a £17 million restoration and extension of Templemore Baths, where the focus will be on heritage and spa provision.
Avoniel Leisure Centre is closed for redevelopment. All swimming lessons and memberships have transferred to the Lisnasharragh Leisure Centre.
Unique selling point
Following initial consultation with local community groups, statutory organisations, and advice from industry experts, we have taken the decision that the new centre will focus largely on outdoor leisure provision. The centre will also have other facilities:
- one intermediate standard 3G soccer pitch
- three covered 3G five-a-side pitches
- two outdoor 3G five-a-side pitches
- one outdoor 3G seven-a-side pitch
- 240 covered seats
- two studios/multi-purpose rooms
- two meeting/training rooms
- changing facilities for teams, officials and individuals
- play service provision
- car parking