An electronic system is now in place to register a stillbirth.
Please call our registration office on 028 9027 0455 and we will guide you through the process by telephone.
Visit nidirect website (opens in new window) for more information on the current process.
Read our coronavirus updates
How to register
A stillbirth should be registered as soon as possible. Registration is free and can be done in any District Registrar's office in Northern Ireland.
You will need a medical certificate, signed by a doctor, which shows the cause of stillbirth.
We will also need:
- full name and surname of the baby
- date and place of death
- usual address
- full names and dates of birth of the parents
- full address and occupations of the parents.
Who can register?
- mother or father of the baby
- maternal grandfather
- maternal grandmother
- maternal uncle
- maternal aunt
- occupier of the premises where the stillbirth took place, for example, a governor or matron
- any person present at the stillbirth.
Advice and support
The nidirect website has details of organisations, which can provide support after a bereavement.